Newly Renovated Agora Theatre and Ballroom Unveils Multimillion-Dollar Upgrades at VIP Reception
New Owner-Operator AEG Presents reveals major renovations improving fan and guest experiences
CLEVELAND, OH (JULY 20, 2018) – The historic Agora Theatre and Ballroom officially unveiled more than $3 million of upgrades and improvements to the iconic venue Thursday night, July 19 at a VIP reception marking the official reopening of the remodeled theater now operated by AEG Presents, one of the largest and most dynamic live music companies in the world.
The renovations across all areas of The Agora are part of a commitment made by AEG Presents when they purchased the celebrated downtown Cleveland theater one year ago. “These renovations bring The Agora into the 21st century and ensure that its longstanding history and legacy as the heart of Cleveland’s live music scene will continue long into the future”, said Shawn Trell, Chief Operating Officer, AEG Presents.
“We did the theater from top to bottom but with the idea to restore it to its prior glory while at the same time preserving its charm and character. Not only do these renovations create a concert experience for the fans and performers alike that is second to none, our upgrades also make The Agora the perfect place for special events and private functions of all kinds and all sizes,” added Trell.
Upgrades to the venue’s interior and exterior include:
• Restoration of original tiling, plaster, and architectural elements in lobby and throughout including the original Grueby-Faience, art nouveau tile work, circa 1913
• Resurfacing of the theatre stage and original flooring throughout the venue
• Installation of 564 new cushioned theatre seats in the theater balcony
• Installation of HVAC system throughout theater (first time in theater’s history)
• Remodeled dressing rooms and other backstage hospitality areas
• Improved stage lighting grids, equipment and control panels
• Upgraded sound system and acoustical treatments throughout theater
• Upgraded bars with added points of sales for customer convenience
• Remodeled and modernized guest restrooms
• Upgraded electrical and plumbing infrastructure
• Refurbishment of The Agora marquee
• Six new glass entry doors on Euclid Avenue
• New high efficiency, reflective roof to improve energy efficiency
Located in downtown Cleveland and with a capacity of 2,000 (Theatre) and 500 (Ballroom), The Agora was founded in 1966 by legendary club operator Henry “Hank” LoConti Sr., who was a driving force in the early rise of rock ‘n’ roll. In the 1970s and 1980s, LoConti gave exposure to hundreds of artists including such icons as Bruce Springsteen, U2, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, The Clash, Duran Duran and ZZ Top among others, and established the Agora’s global reputation as one of the premier music venues in the world.
In that same spirit, The Agora’s grand reopening celebration will kick-off with a private party on Thursday, July 19, followed by a week of live events open to the public, including:
- Monday, July 23: Fleet Foxes
- Tuesday, July 24: Ween
- Thursday, July 26: Create Your Summer Tour
- Friday, July 27: Highly Suspect
- Sunday, July 29: David Cross
- Tuesday, July 31: Greta Van Fleet
Tickets for these and other Agora events are available at agoracleveland.com and at the Agora Theatre & Ballroom box office.
About AEG Presents
AEG Presents is one of the largest live music companies in the world. The company is dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performances, including producing and promoting global and regional concert tours, music events and world-renowned festivals. AEG Presents operates in North America, Europe and Asia through 16 regional offices that support its tours which include such artists as Taylor Swift, Elton John, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry and Kenny Chesney; produce or support over 30 music festivals, including the iconic Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival; and owns, manages or books more than 80 clubs and theaters. AEG Presents produces and promotes more than 11,000 shows annually worldwide and conducts business under such globally renowned brands as AEG Presents, Goldenvoice, The Bowery Presents, Concerts West, Messina Touring Group, Marshall Arts Ltd., and Madison House Presents.