Brasil and Mexio National Teams Meet for International Friendly
39 AEG Facilities-Affiliated Venues and AEG Sports Teams Celebrate Earth Month
Los Angeles, CA (April 30, 2015) This April, 39 AEG Facilities-affiliated stadiums, arenas, theatres, clubs, convention centers and AEG-owned sports teams celebrated Earth Month with a wide range of events and awareness-raising activities in their communities. From beach cleanups to recycling drives, these venues and teams found a variety of ways to get employees, guests and community members engaged in helping the environment.
“We focus on sustainability every day behind the scenes, but Earth Month gives us a great opportunity to share these values with the community,” said John Marler, AEG’s Senior Director, Energy and Environment. “Whether it’s hosting a cell phone recycling drive or inviting a local nonprofit to set up at an event, we try to do something our guests and employees will find informative and useful.”
The Earth Month activities organized by AEG Facilities-affiliated venues and AEG-owned teams this year included:
- Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland in Kansas City, Missouri invited local environmental organizations Ripple Glass and Bridging the Gap to educate guests about recycling at several shows throughout the month of April.
- 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colorado hosted an e-waste recycling drive in conjunction with the Race for the Cure 5K on April 12th, collecting more than 50 pieces of e-waste.
- Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York held a staff volunteer event with Materials for the Arts, a program that collects reusable supplies from individuals and businesses and distributes them to school and nonprofit arts programs in New York City.
- Best Buy Theatre in New York, New York and the Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall in Los Angeles, California both held cell phone recycling drives benefitting 911 Cell Phone Bank throughout the month of April.
- Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Center in Brisbane, Australia conducted various activities throughout the month of April, including hosting workshops to educate staff about sustainable food, offering environmentally-focused tours of the facility, and collecting donations to benefit local nonprofit organizations as well as the victims of Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu.
- Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California hosted a paint recycling drive with Paintcare on April 4th, collecting more than 20,000 gallons of paint to be recycled.
- Darwin Convention Centre in Darwin, Australia participated in “Cash for Containers”, a program to collect and donate recyclable containers, to benefit the Down Syndrome Association NT. The Center also planted new citrus trees on-site to supply its kitchens.
- Hawai’i Convention Center in Honolulu, Hawai’i held an Earth Day spring cleaning to clear out the facility’s storage areas and repurpose or recycle as many materials as possible.
- The Houston Dynamo and BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas hosted Dynamo Recycles Day on April 25th, collecting e-waste, batteries, clothing and more for recycling.
- Keswick Theatre in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania held its third annual Earth Day e-waste recycling drive on April 18th.
- KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky hosted a used clothing drive benefitting the Salvation Army at the Kenny Chesney concert on April 17th.
- The LA Galaxy and StubHub Center in Carson, California hosted beach cleanup event for players and staff with Heal the Bay on April 10th, removing more than 60 pounds of trash from Redondo Beach. In addition, they hosted a used household goods drive benefitting Goodwill in conjunction with StubHub Center’s annual Easter egg hunt on April 3rd.
- The LA Kings held several events for Earth Month in conjunction with April games, including a battery recycling drive with STAPLES, a cell phone recycling drive with Cell Phones for Soldiers, and a cleaning supplies drive for the Marine Mammal Center to help save the sea lions living in El Porto Beach.
- L.A. LIVE, STAPLES Center and Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles, California hosted an employee e-waste recycling drive with Goodwill on Earth Day.
- Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California held an employee event to beautify the Center’s recycling area and educate staff about recycling practices.
- Oracle Arena and O.co Coliseum in Oakland, California organized an employee volunteer event to clean up the Damon Slough waterway on Earth Day.
- Qantas Credit Union Arena in Sydney, Australia held an employee contest to generate Earth Day tips, with the winner receiving a copy of Planet to Plate: The Earth Hour Cookbook.
- Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield, California kicked off a month-long cell phone recycling drive with partner Allianza.
- Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri hosted an e-waste recycling drive in partnership with Bridging the Gap on Earth Day.
- Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, New Jersey encouraged guests to carpool on Earth Day by offering free parking to cars with four or more passengers.
- Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota asked employees to take alternative transit on Earth Day and hosted an e-waste recycling drive.
- Ülker Sports Arena in Istanbul, Turkey invited 200 children to attend the Fenerbahçe Ülker basketball game on April 11th as part of “Ye_il Pota Temiz Do_a”, a project to raise environmental awareness among children through basketball. Participating children received educational books about the environment and t-shirts, also worn by Fenerbahçe Ülker players to raise awareness of the program.
- Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, CA hosted a used clothing drive benefitting San Diego Rescue Mission at the Barry Manilow concert on April 11th.
In addition to these events, many more AEG Facilities-affiliated venues spread the message of sustainability during Earth Month on social media and at events.
In 2010, AEG established a set of 2020 environmental performance goals across five goal areas, including energy and climate, water, waste, responsible purchasing, and education. In 2015, the company will release its fourth AEG 1EARTH Environmental Sustainability Report, which will provide an update on progress towards AEG’s 2020 goals and share stories of AEG’s involvement in Earth Month and other environmental events worldwide.
Michael Roth Cassandra Zebisch
(213) 742-7155 (213) 763-7712